Understanding the Benefits of LED Light Bulbs
October 1, 2021 By Alanna McCarey
In recent years, LED technology has transformed extraordinary in creating efficient LED bulbs.
LED bulbs differ from the traditional incandescent and halogen bulbs in how they actually create light.
So, how does an LED bulb work and what are the benefits of this continually advancing technology. We answer some frequently asked questions below.
What is an LED?
An LED is a type of diode that turns electrical energy into light. LED lighting devices generate up to 90% more light than incandescent light bulbs. An electrical current flow through a microchip, illuminating the small light outlet known as LEDs.
How long do LEDs last?
The LED lifespan is described as ‘lumen depreciation’ compared to the burn out experience that was associated with traditional incandescent bulbs. The brightness of the LED will dim slowly over time. A good quality LED with a strong thermal management system can last up to 50,000 hours. On average, most LEDs will last roughly 20,000 – 30,000 hours.
How bright are LEDs?
The LEDs light output is measured in lumens. The higher the number of lumens means the brighter the light emitted from the bulb will be.
Even thought LEDs use lower wattages in comparison to other bulbs, LEDs are still able to produce the same light levels and brightness.
When selecting an LED light bulb for your light fixture, it is important to note what the lumens output is to ensure you have the right brightness for your interior space.
What are the benefits of using LED bulbs?
- Energy efficient – consume between 80 & 90% less energy compared to traditional bulbs.
- Longer lifespan – due to low heat levels and stronger durability, LEDs outlast other bulbs by thousands of hours.
- Large colour range – LEDs offer a range of colours and colour temperatures without using artificial filters and gels.
- Eco friendly – LEDs are kinder to our environment with their extended lifeline, low heat output and they don’t contain dangerous mercury.
- LED lights do not attract insects, they do not give out UV light (which attract insects).
- Money saving – as they are a long-term lighting solution (approximately 50,000 hours) under optimum conditions.
In large, LEDs are an attractive source of lighting for use both residentially and commercially due to the money saving and sustainability advantages associated with the high-tech bulbs.
All of the Mullan light fixtures are compatible with LED light bulbs. Using LEDs is another step in creating a healthier environment and doing our small bit for the planet.